Seriously

It is almost Thanksgiving.

Last Thanksgiving we went to my Mom's in Louisiana. At that time my stash included two or three skeins of mohair from what was then my favorite needlepoint shop and half a dozen skeins of pearlized (or is it mercerized?) cotton from Hobby Lobby.

In addition to the handpainted needlepoint stocking canvas, I brought with me a pair of aluminum size 5 needles and this cotton yarn because Mom had wanted a sleeveless v-neck pullover to match one she had bought and worn out.

Had I ever knit a sweater before?

No.

Had I ever knit anything other than a garter stitch scarf before?

No.

Did I start the pullover for Mom?

Yes, I started it that weekend.

Have I finished it?

No.

Have I needlepointed since then.

Shamefully, no.

Even more shamefully, I now have enough stash to knit for at least two years and I have this overwhelming desire to acquire more.

However, other than a sock club (okay, two sock clubs) and trading yarn here and there, it has come to something of a stop.

A quick inventory indicated most, probably 85%, of the yarn are individual skeins of sock yarn. The large quantity stuff I have set aside for dedicated projects: Noro Kureyon for a Clapotis, Rowan RYC Cashsoft 4 Ply for a Hap Shawl, and Classic Elite Yarns Soft Linen for a pullover for me.

Not to mention the malabrigo in olive I am using for the sweater below.

Not yet dedicated are 4 skeins each of worsted weight Dream in Color Classy in Black Parade and In Vino Veritas, 4 skeins (2 each of different dye lots) of Lorna's Laces worsted Amy's Vintage Office, and 8 skeins of Cascade 220 in Van Dyke Brown.

The problem is, 4 skeins of Dream in Color Classy or the Lorna's Laces equal 1000 yards, not enough to make a pullover in my size and while I have enough (1,760 yards) of the Cascade to make a pullover, that yarn is not soft enough for me to be comfortable to wear it next to my skin and there may not be enough for a proper cardigan.

This has piss poor planning written all over it.

While I wish I could be like Staci and be one of those rare breed of knitters who is completely stashless (she buys yarn for each indivdiual project), it is woefully obvious I am not.

Oh, well.

I plan to spend part of the holiday rearranging my stash, yet, again.

My goal for 2009 is to make myself take a hard look at what I have before I buy any more yarn.

Of course, that does not include the sock clubs...

Comments

adamboysmom said…
I was going to suggest making felted boxes or some sort of household item with the Cascade, but in light of your more recent posting, maybe that is not a good idea.

Popular Posts