Okay, so I started something else for myself...

With Christmas knitting down to one hoodie for the wee child, I started feeling a little cocky last night.

I know I cast on a few weeks ago for a new sweater for me and as wonderful and lovely as it is, it is dk weight and will take me a while.  Not to mention, it is not knit with Malabrigo.

So, I glanced at the projects I had ready to go, as in:  have already been swatched for and I decided I just had to cast on for the Eileen Tee:



Except, of course, there will be modifications.  Instead of the rolled stockinette hem at the bottom, I opted for a variation of the ribbed hem:




All it requires is the following when knit in the round:

Odd numbered rows:  k2, p1, k2
Even numbered rows:  knit

If one is knitting flat, then cast on and:

For WS odd numbered rows: p2, k1, p2
RS even numbered rows:  knit

Additional modifications include working in the round, instead of flat, and lengthening the sleeves.

As the sleeves are oddly shaped raglan-style which are seamed on after the fact, I decided I will use a provisional cast on and knit the sleeves as written from the bottom up to the shoulder.  When the sweater is done and sleeves are added, I will unzip the live stitches and knit the sleeves down to the wrist, in-the-round, two-at-a-time, because I am concerned about running out of yarn, although I think I should have enough.

For my size (46 1/2 bust), the pattern calls for 7 balls at 108 yards = 756 yards.  I have 1260 yards or 504 yards extra out of which longer sleeves and length will be added.

Hopefully, that is enough!

Despite what the pattern says, I am finding it hard to believe 756 yards is enough to knit a sweater for me. 

For Sweet One's Christmas sweater, as well as my mother's Christmas sweater (Sweet is modeling my mother's here) I knit the size 36" bust and used right at 660 yards on the same size needles.

This pattern is not yet in Ravelry, so I cannot compare to what others have done.

Does anyone else see a potential problem in the yardage?

Comments

Lolly said…
Your malabrigo is so pretty! That will look awesome.

I think your ribs at the bottom will take more yarn than if you just did stocking st. But 1260 yds sounds like enough. Just don't knit it too tight.

Popular Posts