Something like a weaver...

The loom has been standing bare and idle for over a week.

I had an idea of what I wanted to do, and it did not involve another simple weave.

While I had some time today, I prepared my warp and dressed the loom.  I used a blue gray fingering weight I had in the stash, and I wanted to use a lovely deep tonally dyed red (Stricken Smitten in Favorite Things) for the weft.

I sleyed the reed, warped the heedles, and used some green MadelineTosh Vintage (Mineral) to test the pattern and began weaving with deep red yarn.

(The pictures are horrible, I know, but short of dragging the loom outside for lovely natural light, I am not sure how to make them better.)


While I loved the gray and red, the pattern did not show up that well, and the waste yarn (MadTosh) revealed the pattern so much better.  Unfortunately, that was all the MadTosh in Mineral I had or I would have just woven the whole thing in it.

There was only one thing to do...cut out the red and look for something else in my stash...


Yes, I literally cut it out, albeit, carefully!


Part of the problem appeared to be using fingering weight weft on fingering weight warp, so I searched my worsted and Aran weight stash. A good contender was Malabrigo Merino in Tuareg. The Malabrigo is single ply and not as shiny as the MadTosh, but because this will hopefully become an infinity cowl (if I have enough yarn!), I thought the single ply would be infinitely more comfortable around the neck.

Despite the poor photos, the Malabrigo appears to show off the pattern as well as the MadTosh.

Wish me luck!

Comments

Popular Posts