The one that started it all

Ten years ago, we were recovering from a lightning strike that literally burned our house to the ground.

We were very fortunate there was no loss of life in human or pet form, but we lost everything.

In the weeks and months following the fire, we rebuilt our home from the slab up and slowly rebuilt our lives.

Prior to the fire, I had spent decades cross-stitching and needle-pointing pictures, pillows, and all kinds of things.

After the fire, every time I picked up a cross-stitch or needle point project, I mourned the loss of so many things, that I eventually just gave them up entirely.

For a short while there, I had no idea what to do with myself, not that I was not busy staying on top of our contractor and replacing everything in the house from toothbrushes to door knobs, but when I sat down, I had nothing to occupy my hands.

When my mother came for a visit, she had me take her to a fabric store. While she was off making her selections and having them cut to size, I was left to wander.  As I was ambling about, I saw a book called Scarf Style. I picked it up, flipped through it, and almost gasped when I saw this photo:


I immediately fell in love with it!

However, while my paternal grandmother showed me how to knit, if you define knitting by an ability to do a backward loop cast-on and knit-through-the-back-loop, when I was seven or eight.

While both are knitting techniques, they are incorrect for basic casting on and knitting.

I bought the book and took it back to our temporary apartment to study.  

In the next few days, I bought more books, needles, and yarn to begin teaching myself how to knit properly because I wanted to make one of these for me.

In the last ten years, I have actually made several of these, although I have given them all away.

This one is actually for me to keep.


Yarn: Noro Silk Garden #211

None of the previous version have had the frilly tied fringe.

I actually thought I would add it to this one, but ten minutes into the frilly knot-making-business, I decided I am definitely not a frilly knot kind of girl. I literally cried bullshit on it. If you will pardon my use of the vernacular.

Yeah, it took me all of three minutes to remember why none of the other three or four shawls sported the fringe.  I hate it. HATE, as in loathe, despise, and detest.  Your results may vary.

Otherwise, I adore the shawl and look forward to wearing it soonish...

Comments

Popular Posts