Reset

Before the end of March, I finished my experiment with the Turned Taquete rug, and it was a good one. I had a new weft (discontinued Maysville Rug Filler) to try out, as well as a weave structure (taquete) I had never heard of, and combined the two to make pretty cool looking rug.

Unfortunately, ambition got the best of me when I was warping for that project, and I decided to put on a warp three times longer than I needed for just the rug with the thought I would make a pair of throws with the remainder of it.

Now, the colors I used for the rug were dictated by the lot of Rug Filler filler I found on eBay, which was black.

Further, I had also acquired some Maysville Rug Warp at a good price from someone else's destash that also played a role in the color choices. Although, I supplemented with the purchase of a couple more colors, as well as several cones of black, as I needed to throw a tabby after every throw of the filler.

The colors were fine, but as I mentioned in the original post, they did not exactly go with the neutral palette of my house.

So, now I have rug I have no idea what to do with.

Moreover, as I began working on the throws (using black cotton mop yarn as the weft), I wondered what in the world I was going to do with them.

That doubt, coupled with how fiddly they are to weave, and how completely over the taquete experiment I was, meant I had hardly touched them in three weeks. To be specific, I had woven exactly five inches.

I took some time off from work this week to get some things done around the house and concentrate on a couple of vanity projects (I started writing a new novel!!). This year (finally) I will be in the use or lose category for leave, so I thought I would use some of it.

This morning, I decided to dedicate myself to working on the throws, so I could free the loom up for my next project.

I spent a solid hour and wove another ten inches. Total length of the project at that point was 15".  In about six hours, I would probably be done for the first throw, at that rate...with 7.5 hours for the second one...


It was agony.

I hated every second of it.

When I took a break, I texted a good friend of mine who is a fantastic new weaver. I relayed my dilemma.

She responded immediately: "Cut that warp off! Life is too short to weave something you hate."

That's all I needed.




The Beast is now bare, but I just finished the math for a new project, and as soon as I get some spools wound, I will beam them on!

Sometimes, we just have to cut those loses and move on.

As my wise friend also said: "It's so liberating!"

Yes, it is!

YAY!

Comments

Popular Posts