Sleeping Earth

When I began this spinning thing, I am not sure I really had any goals. This was something I wanted to learn how to do, as I had heard (and read) how calming and meditative the experience was.

Weaving is great, I enjoy and love it, but it actually requires quite a bit of physical exertion.

Likewise, knitting, at least the kind I enjoy, can be challenging mentally, as I tend to gravitate toward cables, lace, and Fair Isle.

Migraines are, unfortunately, very much a part of my life, and some days, I just do not have it in me to weave or knit; however, I do not sit still very well.

With the spinning, I knew, of course, I would be creating yarn that I could use for weaving or knitting, but as odd as it sounds, that was not my primary objective, merely a bonus, because I go through several thousands of yards of materials in a year.

The last tea towels I finished used almost 7,000 yards for the warp and another 6,600 yards for the weft. Plus, most of that was cotton and cotton/linen, something I do not anticipate spinning (although, never say never).

Thus, it is unlikely I will ever be able to spin fast enough to keep up with the demands of the weaving alone.

That said, I have already woven and knit with some of my hand spun, and it is a thoroughly rewarding experience.

As soon as I bought my wheel, I ordered several braids of undyed wool in Shetland, Merino, and Romney; however, none of them were white or natural, they were all different shades of deep dark brown (called black), gray, and medium brown, respectively. I am not sure why my initial instinct was to go with neutral undyed wool, but I did.

The first dyed fiber I purchased was 6 ounces of this Merino Bamboo in a colorway called "Sleeping Earth" from Morale Fiber on Etsy.


While I do love bright colors, the muted tones of this one just whispered to my soul. When it arrived, I immediately wanted to begin using it, but I considered it "special" and did not want to mess it up, so I tucked it away, until I had a better idea of what I was doing. 

Well, a week and a half ago, I decided I was ready to give it whirl. I wanted to try my hand at true fingering weight. I also wanted to practice the fractal spinning. I had had no issue with the half of the braids that were divided into three or four sections, but spinning from the other whole half proved more difficult for me, and I knew I needed the practice, even though I doubted the colors would show up with this fiber, no matter who I plied them. 

Those six ounces took me a solid week to spin onto two four-ounce bobbins. I did not think I would ever finish them. 


In the meantime, I had ordered the 8-ounce bobbin and head set for my Spinolution Echo. 

This made sense to me because when I plied two 4-ounce bobbins onto another 4-ounce bobbin, I ended up having to use two 4-ounce bobbins, which meant there was a knot in the middle of my skein. This was not a huge deal, but I wanted to avoid it, if possible. 

Call me a perfectionist, it's fine.

The upgrades arrived the same day I finally finished my singles!

Egads!

I knew, obviously, the 8-ounce bobbins would be twice the size as the 4-ounce ones, but geez.


They also make 16-ounce bobbins (which are as large my noggin) with a head set; however, my swift and ball winder were pretty much maxed at 8-ounces, so I do not foresee that acquisition in my future.

Anything over 8-ounces is going to require a knot (or two). So much for that perfectionism, no?

Most every spare moment for the prior two and one-half days has been spent plying. After 10:00 last night, I finally had it done!

Say "Hello" to 6-ounces of yarn on my new 8-ounce bobbin!


I was dying to know how many yards it was.

Despite the late hour (well past my usual bedtime), I ran the yarn through the meter and skeined it. Here it is unwashed:


Anyone care to guess the total yards?

It shocked me, actually.

According to this chart (scroll down), fingering weight yarn is between 1,800 and 2,400 yards per pound (453.5 grams).

I had 6 ounces (170 grams) and 793 yards!

Doing the math, that means my yarn would make 2,114.9 yards per pound.

Booyah! 

That is RIGHT SMACK IN THE MIDDLE of that range!!

(Nerdy Happy Dance!)

I made fingering weight yarn!

In my joy, I stayed up even later soaking the skein, gently pressing the dampness out with beach towels, then hanging it to dry before I finally crawled in bed about midnight. (My efforts were rewarded by a screaming migraine about 4:30 this morning...changes in sleep patterns is also a trigger...I knew better).

However, I was greeted with the most beautiful yarn this morning.




793 yards

Wow.

It is not perfect, but I love it!

I think I may have to design a pattern to show it off to its full potential.

Any ideas?!


Comments

Popular Posts