The Wee Things



The work-husband is in his mid-to-late sixties.

He is kind and reliable, as well as completely devoted to his wife and family.

We have worked together for almost twenty years, throughout which, he has constantly reminded me of life's small treasures. With forefinger hovering a scant quarter inch over his thumb, he has told me hundreds of time that "It is the little things" that mean the most.

Breakfast tacos are his thing.

For years, his wife got up every morning and made him tacos, which she carefully secured in foil and sent to work with him. She always made extra, knowing he had a penchant for sharing.

More often than not, I was a grateful recipient of this generosity.

Three years ago, she was diagnosed with cancer and began radiation and chemotherapy. As a result, she was no longer able to make those tacos, but he never complained. His new habit was to stop to pick up a few on his way to the office. He continued to bring in more than he could consume. That is just who he is.

Sometime in the last year, his lovely wife began making tacos again.

His joy was monumental, as she is his life.

The tacos are a big, little thing, but his words apply to most everything. The little things can be a tell-tale sign of an individual's character, even when passively interacting with others.

"Watch," he has said, "when the porter comes around, who acknowledges her and who ignores her."

"People tell you who they are without saying a single word."

I have learned so much from my friend, and he was the first to come to mind when I discovered a hack, which makes my weaving life so much easier. It is a little thing, really.

This thread snips are one my all-time favorite tools.



They are perfect for trimming ends. I like to keep them at the bobbin winder and at each of the looms, I have three pair; however, they are extremely easy to misplace.

At one end of the weaving bench, I had the husband drill a hole for a cup holder from which I hung one pair.

That worked fine, as I did not want to drop them into one of the pouches attached to each end of the bench because I was afraid the sharp point would punch holes in the fabric.

However, when I came across these earth magnets with little cups that screw directly into things a light came on.


As soon as I saw them, I ordered a set of each. There were six in the set.

The first thing I did when they arrived is slip a magnet into the cup to see how it fit and looked.

DO NOT DO THAT!

The earth magnet is so strong, there is no way to remove it from the cup. Trust me, it fits perfectly and looks exactly how one would imagine it would.

Yes, I tried to poke it out by slipping something into the hole in the back, but that little sucker is STRONG. The magnet cracked, but still did not budge.

Thus, I had five little magnets and cup holders with which to work. 

It was not my finest moment... I honestly felt like a five-year-old.

However, as soon as the husband drilled holes and installed the cup holders, all was right with my world again.

I put one on the Beast:


In addition to the convenience it provides, I think the magnet cup is unobtrusive and appears to have originally come with the loom. 


In addition to holding my snips, it is also a convenient spot for these magnetic strips that I use with erasable markers, which I had previously attached to the metal harnesses with varying degrees of success:



One was attached to the shelf above my bobbin winding station:



Lil' Miss received one:


Each end of the bench got one, too:


Perfect!



In other news, while on Etsy browsing for a hair stick (as my hair is hanging well past the middle of my back again), I came across one made from elk bone in Estonia. I agree that sounds odd, but it was lovely. Unique, handcrafted items appeal to me. 


While perusing the shop, I was shocked to find a reed hook for sleying, as well. I bought it, too:


Both items are beautiful and smooth to the touch, not porous or chalky, as I expected. The are both indigo-dyed and coated with something or polished to a fine sheen. They feel like ivory, which I understand is a substance similar to bone, but ivory is enameled, like teeth.

The hair pin holds my hair in a tight bun all day long without slipping at all; however, my hair is very thick and full. I also use a bronze hair pin without issue, as well. 

I adore the reed hook. It has a lovely weight and feel in the hand. The size is perfect to hold; however, it is three-plus times as thick as the brass one and does not fit between the slots of my 12-dent reed. It does fit in the 10-dent reed, though. 

This is the shop. If anyone is concerned about the use of animal bone, the owner explains: "Materials I work with are collected from huntsmen or eco-farms what would be other ways 100% waste and dyes I use are all natural. I use archaic technologies mixed with modern ones." 

They have similar hair pins here and here. Here is a reed hook, too.

The hair stick has been in heavy rotation, which means I am in dire need of a trim.

I smile every time I sit at one of the looms. I know where my snips are at all times, and that little thing makes me very happy!

What is your favorite little thing?

Comments

Ranten N. Raven said…
My favorite is that upon rare occasions, my wife will sneak a small candy into my lunch box. Small candies, mind you; but large in meaning.

Glad to see you're still blogging! Too bad you had to miss the blogfest back in 2005. Been a long time, eh?
Feisty said…
Well, Hello!

Please identify yourself!

That's a lovely little treat. My husband read this and told me that kissing me good-bye in the morning and hello in the evening are two highlights for him every day!

:)

Popular Posts