Last week, I was minding my own business and in the throes of the monthly bout of migraines (mine are triggered by hormones and lately, they visit me a solid week at a time), when I thumbed through Instagram.
It is no surprise Instagram is my favorite form of social media. I find there is no drama for me, as my feed is full of puppies, weaving, knitting, paintings, and all manner of yarny goodness.
As I tend to cycle into and out of crafty pursuits every few years, I had thought the bulk of my knitting days were behind me; however, I came across this funky shawl in worsted weight yarn. I followed the designer back to Ravelry, bought the pattern, and immediately rummaged through the stash for the six skeins I needed.
Fortunately, single skeins of six different colors of worsted were not hard to find, at all.
I cast on immediately (I did not even swatch this time, as I had a really good idea of how worsted knits up on US size 8 needles)!
The entire project was a four-day knit, and I actually have a day job.
Pattern: Night Shift by Andrea Mowry.
Yarn: A - Coco (Malabrigo Rios), B - Decay (Black Trillium Pebble Worsted), C - Teal Feather (Malabrigo Rios), D - (Black Trillium Pebble Worsted), E - Sunset (Malabrigo Rios), and F - Byzantine (Madelinetosh Worsted).
Modifications: For the last three or four sections, I did not follow the instructions of which colors to pair, as I found the Malabrigo Sunset to be my least favorite color and too dominate. I really liked the Teal Feather and Coco much better, especially together.
I used every bit of the Coco and for the last six rows or so, I dipped into a second skein I had. Of the Byzantine, I had 2.5 grams remaining. Those were the two colors I cut close. I have a good bit of both Black Trillium yarns, as well as the Sunset. In all, the patterns calls for ~ 900 yards of worsted.
As I as toiling away on the last section, I seriously considered adding a lace edging to the wide end; however, I really liked the I-cord the designer use along both long sides. When I read through the bind-off, I realized she also incorporated the I-cord in the bind off, which was bit new to me. I decided to remain true to the pattern and learn something fresh.
This was such a fun knit. After the second section, I only checked the pattern to see what color the designer wanted me to use next, which made it so much faster to knit.
I anticipate another one in my future; however, I am dithering whether to go with two strands of fingering weight (held double) or more worsted. With the second one, I believe I will add the lace border...
Meanwhile, the looms are languishing.