The Non-Weaving Part of Weaving


Finishing...

It often takes longer to get around to finishing woven cloth, than it does to weave it.

The 24" Macomber Meg came home in early August. I immediately cleaned her up and dressed her, even though her homemade apron was sketchy.

That maiden warp came off in early September.

The fabric sat on the dining table, as there were only six towels...

I quickly dressed the loom again for color block twill, but I have had issues getting the loom to weave properly with skipped threads throughout. It has been trying.

In an effort to sort things out, I cut off the first couple yards of fabric I wove on it, but there are eight or ten more yards to go.

The two towels from the first bit of cloth are functional, but there are far too many skips to be considered for gifts.

That fabric was added to the other on the dining table.

A week and a half ago, I finished a 16-yard warp of 8/2 cottolin for waffle weave wash cloths. Of course, that bundle was deposited on the table, too.

Yesterday, I decided they all needed to be finished.

Meg's maiden warp for me made a half dozen of beautifully bright towels, all in plain weave.




They are far from perfect, as there were tension issues and a few skipped threads here and there due to the aprons ripping, etc., but they are delightful. I am looking forward to using them. I will also attempt to replicate these colors in another gradient warp. 

Here are the first two towels of the block twill warp presently on Meg. 



This is a closeup of the issues we are having.


I am hoping with the tweaking of the loom, the rest of the warp weaves nicely, but I just noticed on the next towel there are still several skipped threads. It is so disappointing. I may have to revert to plain weave on her until I can have the wire rods connecting the pulleys to the lamms replaced. They are badly bend and misshapen. 

The Beast; however, is in his prime and weaves everything beautifully!

This 16-yard warp delivered thirty-five wash cloths.

As I knew these would shrink quite a bit, I hemmed them prior to washing. 

Here are before shots of the fabric. 



Washed and ironed, they did not disappoint.





Just WOW!

I love them!

I even talked the handsome husband into test driving bath towels, I just need to figure out when I can get around to weaving them. LOL!

Yes, those are a lot of wash cloths, and no, we are not that dirty; however, the plan is to create gift bags with a pair of these, some handmade Feisty Soaps, and, perhaps, some homemade lip balm for Christmas. At least, that is the plan.

However, now I am tired. 

Finishing is hard work, and I have not touched any of the looms all weekend. 

How many days until Christmas?

Comments

Popular Posts