Monday Thoughts

There are competing images, the one in my head in the beginning and then what I end up with in the end.

Counted cross-stitch was the exception.  That was one medium where the odds were in my favor to create something that looked exactly as I had anticipated.

Most everything else I have done and do result in items reasonably similar to what I had in mind.

Math is the great equalizer for me.

If my math is correct, the odds improve for the final result, as it  helps take the guesswork out of a great many things.

Knitting, particularly designing patterns, required a great deal of math.

Weaving is no different.

Some keep meticulous notes on paper of each project and attach a sample of the fabric produced.

A holdover from my knitting days is Ravelry.

For each project I have made or am considering, I create an entry. I also create entires for each loom I have, including upgrades, acquisition, and number of heddles on each shaft.

The smaller the loom, the more important those numbers seem to be.

As I have mentioned before, I searched for a 24” Macomber loom for several years before one came available.

When she did, I had no reservations about flying to California, renting a vehicle, and driving back to bring her home.

Prior to even picking her up, I created a project page on her.


It is nothing fancy, just a bit of information and a few photos of her maiden warp.

As soon as her upgrades are complete, the plan is to put 30 yards of 10/2 cotton in natural on her sectional beam, as well as 10 yards of hand dyed 10/2 cotton on her plain beam.

The plans for the 30 yard warp involve a dozen different variations of a Rose Path threading. There are an assortment of different tie ups and treadling to keep things interesting.

The Ravelry page looks like this:


For the hand dyed warp, I came across this photo on Google Images for my inspiration:


While I recognize the pattern draft and love it, I decided to go with something different.

Here is what I worked up:

Now, I know I am the exception.

I am well aware most everyone else flies by the seat of their pants and just allows whatever happens to happen.

I am simply not wired that way.

My time, energy, and resources are precious to me.

I guard them well by having a plan and knowing exactly how to execute that plan.

Math is the key to helping me do that.

With the little loom, I have a weaving width of 24”. In calculating how many heddles I needed per shaft, I assumed a straight draw threading pattern (8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1) across those 24 inches with a sett of 24.

24 (sett) x 24 (weaving width) = 576 thread ends (one heddle for each thread)

576 divided by 8 (number of shafts) is 72

I bought 600 heddles and received 616.

79 went on each of the first four shafts with 75 going on the last four.

In doing the calculations for the hand dyed warp, I did not remember how many heddles per shaft I had on that loom, until I had a heddle count for that specific draft.

Oh!

I could have cut it slightly closer, but I am thrilled!

I do not enjoy moving heddles around.

Now, off to dye that warp!




Comments

Popular Posts