Dogs over Duvets


Back in the spring, I had the feisty idea to hand dye enough warp to weave and sew into a duvet cover.

And, I did just that, all in about two weeks.



I sewed it into the duvet cover, tucked our comforter inside, and we have used it since.

The only thing: In addition to the handsome husband, this little miscreant sleeps with me:

Our bed is tall, and he is unable to jump into it; however, every night when he places his paws on the side of the bed, I pick him up and put him on it. His favorite thing to do is tuck his front legs, bury his nose, and use his hind legs to push himself around in circles on the covers. 

The result is his nails, no matter how well trimmed, pull at the hand woven fabric. 

He also makes it dirty, but as it is all cotton, washing and drying has not been an issue.

The pulls have kind of broken my heart.

I have even put a sarong over the top of the duvet to protect it, to no avail.

One of them had to go...

It was not the dog.

Three or more years ago, I bought several yards of grain sack (ticking fabric) in natural with blue stripes. It was 54" wide. 


My thought at the time was that it would be lovely as the underside for this fabric I wove for a coverlet. 



Unfortunately, it was far too heavy to be used with the equally heavy woven fabric. 

I ended up finishing the edges of the hand woven coverlet. We use it in the warmer months, as is. 

With mom in residence and seeking anything and everything to do, I asked her make a pillow case for the body pillow the older daughter gifted the younger one. I had some natural linen. She did a beautiful job on it. 

As soon as that was finished, she asked if I had any more sewing. 

With several patterns collected over the years, as well as more nice linen for a few blouses, I showed her what I had and inquired if she were interested in tackling any of them. 

She was.

In short order, she made two exquisite linen tops for me!

From Merchant and Mills, the pattern is The Top 64.


While I can sew, stock patterns do not fit me. I am broad through the shoulders and chest with narrow hips. If I make a pattern to fit my bust, it is massive everywhere else. 

My mother; however, is adept at making her own patterns and altering existing ones. She is amazing. 

I completely lack the gene and know-how to successfully alter patterns. 

Yesterday, she finished the second one and again asked if I had any more sewing. She was enjoying herself. 

I pulled out the grain sack fabric and explained my thoughts. 

She nodded. 

As soon as I logged off from the day job, she was waiting for me to cut the fabric and give her instructions on how I wanted to do it. 

The mattress on our bed is 20" deep, plus box springs. 

A queen mattress is 60-inches wide and 80-inches long. A standard comforter, assuming a 12-inch mattress drop is 84-inches wide and 92-inches long.

I bought an oversized queen comforter, which measures 92-inches wide and 98-inches long. 

When I made the duvet cover in the spring, I turned the comforter ninety-degrees so the long end would become the width without giving up any of the length. It worked perfectly.

The grain sack fabric was 54-inches wide and I had six yards of it. 

The first thing I did was cut it in the middle length-wise, overlock the edges, and wash/dry it. 

My plan was to use one full-width panel as the center, cut the second panel into two equal sections; however, I was mindful of the narrow stripes. I also wanted to ensure each of the side strips was exactly the same. 

Once all the cutting was done, I overlocked the edges and turned it over to mom to sew. 

I had 100" wide natural cotton muslin, which we used for the backing. We cut a small, two foot section width-wide to add a button band. 

After both sides were finished, we pinned the top to the bottom with right-sides together, and voila! 

We had a duvet cover. 

Bonus: We also have a pair of shams.



When I crawled in bed last night, it was under my new duvet cover.

Life is good!


Comments

SASpin said…
You two are so clever! It looks great. I'm glad you could have some quality mom/daughter time. :)
Feisty said…
Thank you, C!

It turned out great, and I could not be more pleased.

:)

Popular Posts