Snow Daze


Smashing records left and right, South Texas has experienced interesting weather the past few days with up to five-inches of snow. 

Moreover, this is not the heavy, wet snow for snowmen, but light, soft, and dry snow, almost like powder. 

And, it has stayed, not just hitting the ground and dissipating instantly.

Of course, we have been below freezing for three days now. The high today is 32 degrees Fahrenheit.

Tomorrow, we should make it up to 48 degrees. 

This time next week, we will return to the seventies.

If forty-percent of my fellow Texans were not without power, I would admit that I really like this powder snow. The dogs have frolicked and enjoyed it, as well. 

Snow dyeing thread is something I never expected to be able to do; however, given the opportunity, I took full advantage of it. 

I prepared my warp of 10/2 cotton with a sett of 24. I made four chains, each three-inches wide and ten-yards long. I made a second set of three chains, each four-inches long. 

Each chain comprised 288 threads. 

I like tea towels to be twenty-four inches wide on the loom with a sett of 24, which gives me 576 ends. 

If I combined both sets of chains, I would end up with 576 threads; however, I was not committed to doing that. 

I knew I could also combine the dyed threads with solid commercially dyed thread for interesting stripes,  much like this photo I found on Pinterest:


Once I had two sets of chains, I scoured them in hot water and synthropol to remove dirt and oil. Once I rinsed them and squeezed out the excess water, they soaked in a soda ash solution for a few hours. 

I took a foil casserole pan with a clear lid and cut holes in the lid. The foil pan went into the sink to catch the dyed drips. I supported the lid by adding two pieces of long, thin wood (I used the sides of a needlepointing frame). 

Laying one set of chains flat on the lid. I covered the thread with three- to four-inches of snow.

On top of the snow, I sprinkled dry dye using a spoon (I also wore a mask and gloves). 



Despite keeping the house a balmy 68 degrees, it took the snow forever to melt. I ended up placing a space heater on the counter to speed things up. The dye sat for seven hours before I rinsed everything in a bath of hot water and more synthropol. I had to rinse several times. 

The first thing I noticed was how much dye was wasted, which is typical for a dry dye application, but more so than with my other method. 

The colors are far more subtle than my usual; however, I love them.


Once dry, it was back out into the snow for a few snaps:



Meanwhile, I had already started dyeing the second set of chains.



Even though I allowed the dye to set for a longer period, I experienced the same subdued colors once dry.



However, I love how these turned out! It is so nice to have a second method available, although I will have to substitute ice for snow in the future.


I doubt I will use these two sets together, so I will be pairing them with different solid commercially dyed colors to see what speaks to me.




That was fun!

Hope everyone is safe, cozy, and warm!

Comments

Popular Posts