That Plain Beaming Thing

Three of the four Macomber floor looms have both plain and sectional beams. The fourth has only a sectional beam. 

While I prefer to beam sectionally, dyeing chains for plain beaming offers a distinct and appealing option.


I have posted these before, but these feature hand-dyed hanks which were beamed sectionally: 








These show warps dyed in chains and beamed plainly:









Each of these methods is lovely, just different due to how the color pools. 


When I began weaving, I learned to create a chain on a warping board and beam plainly. 


At first, I had to have someone hold the tail. Then I used Jane Stafford’s book-floor method of maintaining weight on the warp. 


After seeing other weavers using trapeze contraptions attached to their looms, I consulted the husband. 


Here is a photo of a trapeze set up from Vavstuga:



As mine are all different sizes, I did not want to have a trapeze for each of them because I had no space to store the pieces when not warping. 


He suggested hanging something from the ceiling. Hence, the curtain rod. 


The next hurdle was where to place it and whether each would get its own. 


Again, I do not enjoy plain beaming. 


As such, I do not do it as often as I sectionally beam. 


The 32” Meg seemed to be the one I used most often for plain beaming. So, we installed it over her. 



Instead of 16-inch on-center studs, he found them 24-inch on-center. As a result, he mounted the rod (from Target, by the way) 48” wide directly into the studs. 


This was overkill for the 32” loom, but would allow me to put wider warps on the 56” Beast.


With the use of furniture gliders, I can shift the position of any and all of the looms at will. 


At over 400 pounds, the 56” Beast requires the most effort. Glides remain under him at all times because I am unable to lift any of his corners enough to slide a glide in place. Despite this, I can beat rugs on him, and he does not move at all, thankfully. 


The other looms are 200 pounds or less and slipping a glide under a corner is no problem. I also have several sets, so they can all move without stopping to retrieve and reposition the glides when I change things up. 


This is what the studio looked like once I moved Meg to make room to warp the Beast. 







Out of the hundreds and hundreds of warps I have beamed plainly, this one actually went on like butter. 


The curtain rod on the ceiling was an upgrade we did in the last six months or so, and I have used it several times. Although extremely helpful, this was not what I think made the difference. 


A few months ago, someone in my Instagram feed, I wish I could remember who, posted a short video of her trying something new. She was chaining the warp. Instead of pulling the loops with one hand, she alternated: one loop with the right hand, the second with the left. She explained as she did this that she thought (or heard) it would add less twist if she alternated. 


Hmmm. 


Other than noting the practice, I did not think much about it, until I prepared my next set of chains at the warping mill. 


I alternated hands when pulling the loops to chain. 


I have no idea if that was the magic with this warp, but it literally went on smoothly without any drama or tears. 


As I used 10/2 unmercerized cotton, which is not spun quite as tightly as mercerized 10/2, it can be fragile and break, if not handled carefully. 


I did not snap my first warp thread until I was close to the end of the 10-yard warp. A few threads had felted under the lease sticks, and I had missed them. 


If anyone is wondering about the weights, they are 1-pound knitting machine weights. A sweet friend gifted me some, and I bought the rest from eBay. I have seen half-pound ones, as well. 



The hooks on the ends make them so easy to use. 


Also, near the end of the warp where it is too short to reach the ceiling, I simply switch out the cords holding the weights to much longer ones. 


I have two more chains ready to dye, which were also chained with alternate hand loops. 


I almost hate to admit it, but I am anxious to finish a warp to see if those beam as smoothly. 


If anyone gives this a try, please share your results. 

Comments

Popular Posts