Mini Mochi Waving

About a year or so ago I began seeing cute little striped socks out of something called "Mini Mochi."

In the Asian markets, Japanese Mochi is a sweet made of sticky rice pounded into a paste and shaped into a little rounded mound.  Wee One likes the frozen version which has ice cream inserted into the middle of it.

To be honest, I saw absolutely no correlation between the yarn and the sweet, but the yarn came in lovely colors.

Not too long ago, I had the opportunity to meet the yarn in person and found it to be a squishy and soft, thick-and-thin, single ply.  It was relatively inexpensive (eight-something for a 50 gram skein) and bought two skeins for a pair of socks.




On size US 1 needles, the mini mochi and I quickly became enemy combatants.  I did not like it at all.  The knitted fabric was extremely fuzzy and difficult for me to work with.

Disappointed, I immediately switched gears, determined to match the yarn up with an appropriate pattern for me because I hated to waste my money.

On an aside, I am well aware I have quite a bit of ridiculously expensive yarns languishing in my stash.  I really need to stop buying that expensive stuff because when I pull it out to work with it, performance anxiety strikes and I am left uncertain if the project at hand is the highest and best use of the stuff.  Again, I hate to waste it.  Of course, the end result is that it continues to languish...

Anyway, I so loved the color and feel of the yarn, I searched through my patterns to see what, if anything, that mini mochi might want to become.

Along with everything else, I have a system for this.  The first step is to go through the patterns I have actually purchased.  This is followed by books in my library, then magazines.  It is an investment thing.  Single patterns are the most expensive per pattern items, followed by books, etc.

A couple of the first patterns I purchased on-line were from Oceanwind KnitsGothik (I knitted it up here) and Waving.

As the title indicates, Waving won!



 

 

Pattern:  Waving by Lori Law (Oceanwind Knits)
Yarn:  Mini Mochi by Crystal Palace Yarns


The weather is yucky and misting this morning and none of my models were up, so I did the best I could with the photos.

Overall, love the pattern and the softness of the yarn makes it a lovely light little scarf.

Yay!

Comments

adamboysmom said…
Nice save! That looks great!
LauraB said…
Well done, as always. You DO have a way with matching yarn to pattern! And I liked that peek into your process. So analytical! I don't know why I didn't think that way about it!!

Lovely, lovely!

Popular Posts