Playing Tricks

When my girls were little, especially the younger one, I knitted finger-less gloves for them.

The first pair was something of a fluke, actually. I was knitting socks and shortly after finishing a cuff, I was sick and tired of knitting socks. After I put them down, I noticed someone on Ravelry published a pattern for these cute little mitts. While reading the pattern, I realized it was almost identical to the socks I no longer wanted to knit. So, I made mitts out of them.


This was ten years ago, and Wee One was delighted with them.

Her delight encouraged me to knit a more substantial pair:


and even a fancy cabled pair:


Well, those are all long gone now, but I noticed on Instagram that someone posted a pair of finger-less mitts made from handwoven fabric. They were gorgeous and something I would certainly don on chilly days, as I hate to have cold hands, but never wear gloves.

A quick search of sewing patterns led me to this. I downloaded it and printed it out twice, so I would have a jumping off point to design a pair. I also wanted to lay them out to determine how large a piece of fabric I would need to make them.

As I was crunching my numbers, it occurred to me that a matching cowl would make a lovely set for gifts.

I ground out a few more numbers and am now satisfied that a 24.5" wide and 65" long piece of fabric is sufficient for a pair of mitts and generous-sized cowl. Of course, making one set is out of the question, so I used the weaving calculator to determined that I would need to warp 13.3 yards of thread to make 6 sets. (Yeah, I know, ambition is my middle name.)

My plan is to use 8/2 cotton in a gradient of colors for the warp and 5/2 bamboo for the weft in solid colors. Instead of plain weave, I thought a nice geometric pattern would be attractive; however, as Lil Miss still only has 4-shafts, I needed to restrict my search to 4-shaft patterns. Fortunately, I think there are more 4-shaft patterns than any other. In fact, if I limited myself to 4-shaft patterns, I do not think I would run out after a lifetime of weaving.

Anyway, I made a project page in Ravelry and began uploading photos of drafts that were potential contenders for the mitts and cowl. I poured over hundreds of designs and came up with three. After I studied the three, I realized two were actually the same design, but in different colors with one using a rising shed tie up and the other using a falling shed tie up.

In essence, one is a positive and the other is a negative image of the same design.


Which means, of course, that I have found the design I will use!

I think I have four or five more tea towels on Lil Miss before I can warp her for these...

Stay Tuned!

Comments

Spot on with this write-up, I truly think this website wants much more consideration. I’ll in all probability be once more to learn way more, thanks for that info. best online casino
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Popular Posts

Instagram