Loom Broker, who knew?


While taking a quick break this morning, I scanned my Facebook feed and a 32" Macomber with 4 harnesses appeared on my screen. It was identical to the one I bought January of last year. I noted it appeared in good condition and thought it would make some lucky person a fine loom. Just before I moved past it, my eyes caught its location: San Antonio, Texas!

I studied the photos and noted the wooden peg lamm depressor, which dated the loom to an older one. The plate on it said Saugus, Mass. Macomber moved its business from Massachusetts to Maine in 1976, and the plates reflect the move. That means the loom was made prior to 1976.

Just how old it is, I really do not know, but I sent Macomber an email asking if they had any information on it.





Three people came to mind while studying the photos. I tagged one and shared the listing in Messenger with the second. The third never checks her Facebook...

As I was visiting with the second person about the loom (she sent her husband the listing), I considered buying it. Rarely are there Macombers available in Texas, and I work in San Antonio. Thus, it is also convenient to where I live. Even if I did not need it, someone I knew surely would. 

After a brief exchange with the wonderful husband, who said "If you want a new project, go for it," I made the seller an offer. We negotiated a bit before agreeing on the price. Her biggest concern was whether we had a vehicle with which to collect it, as she said: "We have tiny cars." Fortunately, the husband has a big truck. The loom comes home on Sunday.

When the deal was done, I chatted with the second person (and good friend) again. There was some discussion of where to put the loom, even temporarily. I measured out a spot in the dining room. I even suggested to the husband that the master bedroom would make an amazing weaving studio, and we could move our bed into the current studio. It seemed as though his "Haha" was really a "NO."

In the end, I decided I would clean up and update the loom to make it serviceable and comfortable, but it would probably have to go to someone with more proper space for it than I have. Specifically, I told my friend I was sure one of my friends would probably want it sooner, rather than later, especially, as I had not heard from the first person and had not yet contacted the third person on my list, not to mention the two other people who had popped up in my head.

The second person texted me and told me her husband came back in and she was talking to him about the loom. She reported that he said to her: "So you bought a loom, didn't you?"

Apparently, he checked the listing and saw that it was marked "SOLD."

I told her: "Tell him 'Yes, and I am just fixing it up for you!'"

She laughed and said yes, she would actually like the loom!

Thus, the loom has changed hands before I even touched it.

Immediately thereafter, I heard from my friend who was the first person on my list. She left a comment on the listing, indicating she had missed out. 

We visited about what she might be looking for in her second loom. She mentioned she wanted a loom to dedicate to rug making. 

Union, I told her, was the way to go and, hopefully, we could find a 50-year-old one for $300.

Well, I did not find any Union looms in my search, but I came across several Orco looms, one of which was self-described as "modeled after the old Union loom, but this one goes one better having 4 harnesses so you can weave patterns."

A bit more searching revealed a nicely priced one; however, it is in Pennsylvania.

I called my sister-friend about an hour-and-a-half from the loom and inquired if she were willing to do us a huge favor, if we decided to move on this one, by picking up and storing it until we could figure out how to get it down here. The sweet and generous human she is, she agreed without hesitation. I am so blessed to have such amazing friends.

Before we did anything else, we verified the manufacturer of Orco looms is currently in business and parts are readily available. To determine if this is a good deal with shipping, my friend made an inquiry; however, the person who can answer her questions will not be in until tomorrow. So, we are cooling are jets at the moment. We have decided if the loom sells before tomorrow, it was simply not meant to be.

Meanwhile, the second person currently has a Schacht table loom with eight shafts and a stand that needs a new home. 

Of course, I mentioned this to sister-friend in Pennsylvania who just acquired her very first loom this past Saturday (Cricket 15" Rigid Heddle). I shall follow up and send her additional information. 

Friends and looms, could there be anything better?

Comments

Popular Posts