Maltese Cross

Just before Christmas, once all the holiday weaving was off the looms, I dressed both of them with projects that had intrigued me for a while. I had held off beginning either of them because there never seems to be enough time to make things just for me.

The little Macomber received a gradient type of 8/2 cotton warp in deep browns, rich purples, and a variety of teals. I wanted to make a set of fancy tea towels using an intricate draft I found on Pinterest called Maltese Cross.

Using 5/2 cotton weft in different colors, the results have been delightful.







Here is the first towel I wove. My sample was playing with a different treadling pattern, which appears at the bottom of this piece. I did a plain weave hem to separate the sample from the beginning of the actual towel in the Maltese Cross treadling pattern. My intent was to simply cut off the initial sample; however, when I overlocked the edges of the separate towels, I forgot about the sample and left it attached to the towel. I noticed the error as I was hemming the towels, but I decided to leave it. It gave me a much longer towel than the others, which I think will make a lovely and unique hand towel for the guest bath.




My ten yard warp was actually supposed to yield nine towels; however, when I warped the beam, one of the bundles in the middle was short a yard. Further, as I was weaving towel #8 I was unable to advance the cloth beam because that short bout had become twisted around one of the sectional pins and was lodged under the thread of the adjacent section. Rookie error.

I took it as a sign from the weaving deities that I was done with this warp.

In other weaving news, the Macomber 32" loom I picked up last week is up and running. For a 1960 model, she is in excellent condition. There were no issues with warping her or weaving on her.

As my friend, her new owner, is new to floor looms, I wanted to get her warped before she picks her up. This way, she can begin using her right away, as she already knows how to warp her Schacht table loom.


What can I say, she weaves beautifully!

Speaking of my friend's Schacht table loom, with the floor loom going home with her soon, she wanted to find a new home for it.

I had already mentioned it to a couple of people, but nothing came of it.

Last night, when I pulled the tea towels off my 32" Macomber, I posted a video to Instagram and Facebook. One of my dear friends, who also knits, commented on the video: "You are my idol! not enough to buy a loom but enough to keep trying upping the difficulty of knitting patterns!"

I teased her and said: "Funny you should mention buying a loom... my friend has a compact table loom for sale. It’s easier than knitting. I understand engineers are really drawn to weaving..."

One thing led to another, and next month she will be the proud owner of an 8 shaft 25" Schacht Table loom with stand!

This loom is identical to my very first loom ever:


Friends and looms, what could be better?

Dogs.

Okay, Friends, Looms, and Dogs...what could be better?!




Comments

Popular Posts