17, 9, 8, and 4...

17 baby blankets (from two separate warps), 9 place mats, 8 napkins, and 4 burp cloths comprise the weaving for May and June.

The first 14 baby blankets were done with an 8/4 cotton warp.

My thought, a la Tom Knisely, was to use 8/4 cotton rug warp for both the warp and the weft, as I have done in the past; however, once they were done, I was not in love with them. 


They are perfectly soft and serviceable, but they were not special enough for a baby shower gift.

Fortunately, I had some cotton chenille I played with on this warp, which made lovely, sumptuous blankies.


I actually had four of these, but one has already found its way to the expectant mother of a friend from work. 

Boucle was also something new for me try. I used a double bobbin shuttle to run two strands at once for this one.


Not quite satisfied with this batch of blankets, I immediately rewarped the loom with 8/2 cotton for warp and weft. 


It was a short, six-yard warp, so within a week, I had enough fabric for 3 baby blankets and 4 burp cloths.


These were perfect! They had the texture, drape, and softness and exactly what I had in mind! I also love the cotton flannel for one side of the burp cloths!

I also managed to fit in a quick 13-yard warp for place mats and napkins for a bride-to-be. The colors were chosen from her dinner plates.


Both place mats and napkins were woven on the same warp. I used 8/8 cotton in beige for the mats and 8/2 cotton in black for the napkins. The bride is not a fan of surprises. Thus, she was able to preview them while they were still on the loom. She said she was thrilled.  YAY!

The fabric for a duvet cover is still on the Beast.


Lil Miss has been warped with some very bright towels.


I decided I did not like the dots in the pattern, so these towels will be plain weave, but I am using different warp colors for fun.





Comments

Popular Posts