The Versatile Everything


A couple of months ago, I succumbed to the incessant ads for a towel, which was supposed to be the one perfect thing for travel, a day at the beach, and life. 100% cotton, it could be used as a shawl, travel blanket, beach blanket, towel, and sarong.

The item arrived, and I LOVED IT!

While I have yet to test when I emerge from a shower, I have used it as a light cover, but I almost exclusively use it as a sarong.

It is fantastic. The mercerized cotton threads are smooth and silky. They are woven at a looser sett and beat, creating a fabric with exceptional drape and suppleness.

I was enchanted, as as soon as the Beast was clear, I warped the loom for several.

I counted the threads per inch and did my best to replicate it.

Here is the original:


The fringe tassels are cute, but I am generally not a fan, as they collect all sorts of matter, including the burs the dogs bring in. 

The first one I wove used a 5/2 cotton weft I knew was much heavier than the original, but I wanted to see what kind of fabric it made.


It is obviously denser, thicker, and less supple, but the looser sett results in a fabric that does not feel stiff at all. I really like it. It would be perfect for a skirt or, heaven forbid, a duvet cover... 

Next up, I used an 8/2 cottolin and very light beat.



I had high hopes for this one, and it did not disappoint.

For the third one, I decided to go light with magenta in 10/2 and BINGO, we had a winner!



The fabric is wonderful and matches the original perfectly.

Bonus: I had enough warp remaining for a sweet little baby blanket!


This project has now been put into the rotation and will be repeated.


Now, Christmas is just around the corner. Anyone working on gifts yet?

Comments

Popular Posts