A Quickie!

There are a number of mighty fine husbands out there, but I have to say, I have one of the best!

Not only did he give his blessing for me to fly to California, rent a vehicle, and drive all the way back to South Texas with a sweet 24” Macomber loom, but after I got back and asked him to build me a weaving bench specifically for this loom, he did!





 What is extra special about this is the wood he used.

My very first loom was a Schacht 8-shaft table loom. She did not come with a stand, so the husband and I bought a small IKEA table, which we used to design and build a stand. We used all the pieces to the table, except the top.

As it was solid wood, the husband tucked it away.

The table top was large enough for him to cut out the bench seat, feet, and pieces that I call cleats to secure the top to the legs. He bought a piece of red oak to make the side pieces and box. With the oak, carriage bolts,  and sand paper, I think he spent about $30 on this build.

It is perfect and beautiful, and I am completely over the moon with it!

I adore the different woods. Instead of staining it, I chose to simply use Howard’s Feed & Wax on it, as that is all I use on the looms.

To make this even more nostalgic, I decided to move the little loom to a space in the foyer, which is the same spot that very first loom used to occupy. I really like this spot to weave. It is adjacent to the living room, and I do not feel as isolated as I did in the corner of the dining room.

The little loom is still waiting on her upgrade and makeover parts from Macomber, but last week Linda said she hoped to get most everything (not including the sectional beam) in the mail next week.

She is still borrowing the heel rest from the 32” Macomber, but she is a joy to weave on. I anticipate finishing her warp this week. I have one ready to go, just as soon as we receive her new aprons and other parts.


This warp is for a block twill pattern!

I am so ready for fall and cooler weather.

Who is with me?!

Comments

Popular Posts