Yet, Again

Last week, a dear friend and I were chatting about weaving. She is an excellent weaver and is preparing to peddle her wares at the local farmers market, as well as on Etsy.

We were exploring options for set up and display, when I suggested a small loom, either floor or table, would add interest to her products. She agreed, and we began scouring various Facebook groups to see what was available. Then, I did a quick search on eBay.

This little beauty popped up:


Leclerc Dorothy 15 3/4-inch four shaft table loom. Her Model number indicated she was manufactured in May 1979.

She was missing a reed and the top of the beater.

Leclerc is still in business in Canada. A new reed is $50. The batten sley or handtree is about $20.

The reserve on it was reasonable, and shipping would be $42 in the continental US. However, with almost a week to go until the auction ended, who knew what it would ultimately cost.

My friend was not completely sold on it, as she had not yet had her first show. She was justifiably apprehensive about additional expenditures.

I had no real need for another loom, but the idea of it was taking hold. I knew it would be perfect to teach people how to weave.

A bit of research revealed it would nearly fold flat.

Oh, this would fit beautifully into the RV for camping trips!

At less than sixteen inches wide, it would be far too narrow for tea towels, but place mats with finished dimensions of 12” x 18” would be perfect! Napkins and waffle weave wash cloths would also be a go, as well as scarves.

The loom continued to grow on me; however, auctions were not my thing.

I added it to my watchlist and did my best to talk myself out of it.

The bidding would end at 9:00 pm Sunday evening.

I set a reminder on my phone for an hour before the end.

After dinner on Sunday, I talked to the sweet husband about it. I showed him the photos and explained what I had in mind. He was completely supportive.

When I checked the listing again, there were already two bids.

He asked if I had a figure in my head.

I did.

He encouraged me to wait until the last forty-five seconds before the auction ended to bid.

With twenty minutes to go, he kept me company while I waited.

When the moment came, I confirmed my bid, but it told me I had timed out.

GAH!

I had to refresh the page and enter my bid again!

I thought I had run out of time, but I managed to get it in.

I won!

Whew.

She should arrive sometime next week.

Of course, my friend will be able to borrow her for market days.

Now, she needs a name...


Comments

Popular Posts