The New Feisty Studio

While normally not a fan of the year in review, 2020 is not only a new year, but a new decade. Both of which coincide with a new, old studio.

Years ago, way back in 2006, we suffered a lightning strike, which basically burned our home to the ground.

At that time, I had been an avid cross-stitcher for decades, as well as a needle point enthusiast.

My grandmother taught me to cast on and knit, but her cast on was basically wrapping the yarn around the needle. The knit stitch she showed me was knitting through the back loop, which is a knitting stitch, but not THE knit stitch.

That was all the knitting I knew for years, until I taught myself how to knit while in law school. At that time I learned to cast on correctly, along with the knit and purl stitch. All I ever made were blankets and afghans using size US 15 needles. It was ridiculous.

After the fire, I became completely disinterested in cross-stitch and needlepoint, as they were constant reminders of all that I had lost.

The master bedroom in the original house had a vaulted, cathedral ceiling, which made the room feel cavernous.

When we rebuilt, I asked for a coffered ceiling in there. The bonus to that decision was another room at the top of the stairs over that bedroom.

Initially, we were going to use it as a storage space, but the husband claimed it as a man cave for all of his outdoor clothes and equipment, a recliner, and a TV. With that in mind, dark colors were painted on the walls and camo carpet was installed.

Unfortunately for him, he never used that room.

It did not take long for me to confiscate it for an office and craft room.

The first thing I did was paint it a lovely, airy blue called Ionic Sky.

I actually found a picture of when I painted over the Man Room:


I loved that room, despite the horrendous carpet.

It was my office, craft room, sewing room, and makeshift guest room, as needed.



The kids got older.

One daughter already had a room upstairs.

The younger one also wanted more privacy and space.

As such, I traded the craft room for her much smaller bedroom downstairs.

The upside for me were the nice wood floors.

At first, the daughter painted them room bright pink, but shortly thereafter, repainted it a pale grey. It was a nice color and vast improvement over the Pepto Bismal pink.

That daughter has now gone off to college, and I have completely outgrown the small bedroom downstairs.

So, we switched back.

She has a nice place to land when she is home from school.

This is an old photo of what the room looked like when she was much younger. No canopy now, no dolls, and different linens, but things are much the same again. I am not allowed in there for photos...


And, I have a place for all the looms!






The room is only 90% complete. Here's some of the mess I still need to address:


Just not enough space for the knitting yarn stash, which is now in plastic bins tucked in a closet.

Most importantly, all of the looms are warped and weaving!






One of the many items on the 2020 list is double width weaving blankets to use up the wool!

Resolutions are not usually my thing; however, I have vowed to make some life changes for this coming year (and decade):

1)  Declutter
2) Yoga (every.damn.day)
3) Self-Care

As to the first, I have no problem getting rid of things, I just do not do it often enough. There are always more pressing (and, sometimes, more fun) things to do.

I still love my yoga; however, a knee injury, followed by a shoulder issue sidelined me for a good while, and I lost the daily routine. I am excited about recommitting.

The last one, is the toughest.

It makes the most sense, of course. Unless I take good care of myself, I am unable to do for those I love. However, I am far more motivated to take care of everyone else before I do anything for myself.

I do not believe I am alone in that.

A blessed New Year to all!

Comments

Popular Posts