Eight


Another number, I know.

There is the adage: Do something twenty-one days in a row and it becomes a habit, etc.

Well, not everything need become a habit, but it does take a bit or repetition to become comfortable with doing something new.

I just finished dyeing my eighth warp.

The first one turned out well and far better than I could have possibly anticipated.







These were 10/2 cotton unmercerized warp with 8/2 weft. The sett was 24. The draft was an 8-shaft point twill.

The initial success was gratifying and terrifying at the same time.

There was no confidence in the achievement, as I chocked it to beginner’s luck.

The test would be whether I could replicate the results.

I altered the method from a dry dye application the first time to a bottled liquid dye the second.

The bottles were much easier and faster with the only drawback the absence of speckled effect, which I adored.

That second attempt quickly found a home without proper photos; however, it should be going on a loom soon, so we may have finished pictures at some point.

Life got in the way, and I was not able to get back to dyeing for a few a while, but, I made it a priority.

Last May, a lovely young couple married in Baton Rouge. I have the pleasure of making place mats and napkins for them. The bride’s mother is a sweet, dear friend of ours.

This May the couple are expecting their first child.

I wanted to make a few baby blankets for them, as well as have some on hand and tucked away for any future bundles of joy.

The thing with babies, on their way and not yet conceived, there could be a slew of little girls or a mess of boys.

With that in mind, what colors to select?

I decided to hedge my bet and combine the two.












Using 8/2 cotton, this warp is comprised of three chains. The center chain is 16” wide and dyed Deep Orange, Grape Purple, and Magenta (Razzle Dazzle). Flanking that chain will be two 11” sections dye Sea Glass Green and Peacock Blue. All dyes are from Dharma Trading Company.

After washing and soaking with scalding hot water and Synthropol, I rinsed thoroughly, squeezed as much moisture from them, as I could, and soaked them overnight in a solution of Soda Ash and water (1 cup Soda Ash to 1 gallon of water). I used a plastic two gallon bucket with sealable top from Home Depot.

In addition to silicone gloves when dealing with the hot water and caustic Soda Ash, whenever dry dye was opened, I wore a mask to keep from inhaling any of the dye particles.

When I was ready to dye the chains, I covered a table in the garage with heavy black garbage bags. I laid down several strips of cling wrap on which I placed the chains I had carefully removed from the Soda Ash bath and gently squeezed out. (Do not wring or twist the chains, just squeeze.)

The dry dye method is time consuming.

I opened one color dye at a time and applied it with a plastic fork.

Odd, I know, but a little dye goes a long way. I used the tines of the fork to get the dye exactly where I wanted it.

I dyed the two chains green and blue first, then carefully covered them with cling wrap and moved onto the middle chain next.

I left my warp in chains, as I am scared of tangling the threads beyond use and because I like how the dye concentrates in certain areas more than others.

To help distribute the powder dye, I kept a condiment bottle with a pointy tip and filled with water handy. (I use those same bottles filled with dye to bottle dye, as well.)

From there, I estimated how long I wanted each color run and how much to emphasize each color.

I love deep orange; however, as a powerful color, less is more. I started with that in the middle chain to minimize it as much as possible. I followed up with the other two.

Applying dry dye this way was time consuming, probably an hour or more per warp set. I wanted fairly good coverage and turned the warps to get both sides, as well as opened each chain to get down into the tight spots.

It was well worth the effort!

I wrapped the chains in plastic wrap and allowed the dye to set overnight.

The next day, I ran a sudsy bath of hot water with more Synthropol and began rinsing the chains. Unlike wool, it is not necessary to set the dye with heat. In addition, the dye is not exhausted in this process. Thus, the first few rinses are quite inky. Just keep rinsing.

And, now, this warp is on the Beast!







Once this one is complete, I have the perfect shade of magenta for the next one; however, it is in 10/2 mercerized cotton. So, with a double bobbin shuttle, I will throw the weft double stranded.

The fourth dyed warp is sort of the negative of the initial warp.

I prepared seven different chains of 10/2 cotton, four for dyeing and three to leave natural.

This time, I used only three colors: Navy Blue, Lime Pop, and Magenta.

These were far more dramatic during the dyeing process, but I am thrilled with how it turned out.








The 5th dyed warp was the second one to make it onto a loom, which means it is now finished and off the loom.

With this one, I wanted something a bit more saturated with individual color, so I did longer runs of each color. I initially planned to use only one color, but my curiosity got the best of me, and I wanted to see how other colors would work.

I am besotted with this warp and the finished towels. This was another 10/2 cotton warp at 10 yards, which rendered 9 towels. Sett was 24.












Dyed warp #6 is study of lemony sunshine!





The warp is 10/2 unmercerized cotton with 8/2 weft. 

Warp #7 was for a friend of mine fairly new to weaving. When I asked what colors she wanted, she told me blue and green, along with whatever else I wanted to add.

Again, this one was in 10/2 unmercerized cotton.






The sweet friend with whom I work and who bought the second 32" Macomber I had had a birthday this week. Of course, I offered to gift her a warp in the colors of her choosing. She selected Mist (grey), Black Cherry, Mushroom, and Razzle Dazzle.





Warp #9 was yet another in 10/2 cotton; however, I did not dye it. My closest friend actually lives in town, and she is the proprietor of Wadstrom & Co. and a weaver extraordinaire in her own right. She has a birthday coming up. I prepared the warp and invited her over to dye it for herself. LOL

I know, I am a terrible friend.

However, what she created is stunning. I cannot wait until she weaves it!


Suffice it to say, I am quite taken with this dyeing business. 

However, now I will be all about this weaving business... 

Plus, I managed to acquire another loom, which we pick up tomorrow...

Yeah.  I know.





Comments

Popular Posts