Weaving Goodwill

Last fall, when I acquired the little Leclerc Dorothy table loom (Lola) and rehabbed her, one of the many things I did was remove her wire heddles and replace them with inserted eye heddles.

As I have done in the past, I offered them for free in one of the Facebook weaving groups. A lady commented she would like to have them, and I asked her for her address.

She lived in San Antonio, and I work there.

I suggested we meet to transfer them, and she came by my office one afternoon, I gave her the heddles, we chatted, and I made a friend.

We friended each other on Facebook and have kept up with one another since then.

As to the little Leclerc, other than a set of place mats, I really have not done much with her.

One of the issues in using her is her levers are difficult to engage, especially as I prefer high tension on the warp when weaving.

A second problem is the narrowness of her shed. My regular Schacht shuttles do not fit well, so I have had to use a stick shuttle to weave.

A couple months ago, someone had a pair of old antique maple Hammett shuttles with wooden bobbins for sale at a good price. They were tiny.

Here are the photos from the original listing:




I scooped them up.

They were perfect for Lola!


The only thing, I only had one bobbin for each shuttle. 

These bobbins were wee tiny and much smaller than the standard 4” ones, which fit the Schacht 11” shuttles I have. 


I was not sure what, if anything, I was going to do about it until my new friend in San Antonio posted  on FB some things she had made with her 3D printer. 

Now, I do hate to ask people for things. My question to her was whether she was interested in bartering some handwoven tea towels for a few bobbins. 

We discussed measurements, and I provided the best I could from the wooden bobbins. 





A few days passed, and she sent a few photos. 




I was so thrilled!

I sent her two tea towels and a postage prepaid priority shipping envelope. 

A couple of days later, ten bobbins appeared. And, they fit perfectly!! Yay!!



Now, Lola has a pair of new shuttles with plenty of bobbins!

Weavers are the best!

Hopefully, she is about to acquire a stand, as well. 

A while ago, there was a listing on FB for this loom and stand. 


I obviously did not need the loom, but the stand was $100. 

New they are $230. 

I inquired regarding shipping. 

A lady was posting it for a friend who was not on FB, the friend’s son was drafted to handle the shipping, and then the shelter-in-place thing happened. 

This morning, the son contacted me and said he was “circling back around” to see if I were still interested. 

I am. 

I truly know nothing about him, but there is nothing more attractive than a take charge man. 



He had me at “I will come up with a plan!”

Hopefully, Lola will soon have legs!

Comments

Popular Posts