From Towels to Trails

 

(Image Courtesy of Google)

The year in review.

There is a saying “May you live in interesting times,” which is often described as a Chinese curse. There is some doubt as to its origin, but it is apropos to 2020.

In January 2020, I declared it the year of self-care and complained about all the things on my calendar. I actually dreamed of the beginning of March when I did not have to be anywhere…then the pandemic hit. In a blink, there were no social events, the office sent everyone home to work remotely, and there was a toilet paper shortage.

Interestingly, I am OCD and normally stock a full pantry. When I run out of something, I pull a spare from the reserves, then restock the spare. Thus, we never actually ran out of anything, though the thought of eventually exhausting our supply was worrisome.

As to the isolation of quarantining at home, I actually thrived and felt as though being an introvert had prepared me for this my entire life. For those who know me well, I am truly an introvert, just a highly social one with people with whom I connect.

Unlike so many of my fellow Americans, my job was secure. There was no hiccup when we transitioned to full-time working from home. Again, I have been most fortunate and grateful.

The extra time I accrued from not having to go and do translated mostly to weaving time and writing time. While I do not have a hard count on tea towels, more than 200 have come off the looms so far this year. I was also able to start and finish a manuscript by August.

I consider both those things significant achievements of which I am exceedingly proud.

Food and cooking are also a large part of our lives. Both the husband and I enjoy cooking and feeding people. Within the close-knit circle of our friends, we have a saying “Food is love.”

In a year where social distancing has been the new normal, food has remained a way to connect and express affection.

One of the things I like to do is cook large vats of our favorite things: gumbo, Étouffée, marinara, beef short rib stew, soups, etc. and package them in quart-sized vacuum seal bags. The bags are fantastic, as they can be frozen flat and contain enough for about two servings (of most things). The meals are fully cooked and are easy to thaw, heat, and typically serve with rice, pasta, or potatoes.

They are great for weekday meals, but they are especially helpful for those friends and family who are experiencing health challenges or when welcoming new members (babies) to the fold.

As I have never been particularly good at cooking for two, it is easy to tuck away a bag or two whenever I feed us.

When a need arises, I kick it in high gear and spend several days prepping and cooking meals for the freezer and can actually secure twenty- or thirty-quart bags for a solid forty to sixty meals. All that remains is to take the frozen meals, put them in a cooler, and deliver them where they are needed.

Of course, during the holiday season, I morph into baking mode and deliver or ship dozens of Kahlua and Amaretto (with toasted almonds) cakes for friends and family.

In a nutshell, things around Casa del Feisty stay busy.

It may appear as though it is all me, but none of this would be possible without the steady and unwavering support and encouragement of my wonderful husband. In addition to being the Master Griller and Gumbo Maker, he is the Loom Whisperer, my greatest fan, and my Hero. With absolute sincerity, he is the one who wraps me in love and gives me the confidence to put myself out there and do all the things I do. Without him, there would be no Feisty Studio, Feisty Handwovens, or anything else.

He is far more flexible, while I remain rigid in my comfort zone.

He may not fully understand my introverted ways and why I do not enjoy socializing much outside the home, but he has never given me grief about it. At most, he has continued to invite me to the office Christmas party, even though I have never made one of them with him. (Fortunately, this year’s party has been cancelled!)

For the coming year; however, there is change in the air.

A couple of months ago, I expressed to the husband I would like to have a Jeep.

After three decades together, one would think he would have some idea of what to expect when I open my mouth.

This was not the case.

Apparently, I caught him off guard. He had no idea I have secretly always wanted a Jeep but as a practical human, I never felt as though it was a reasonable ride.

As soon as he digested that information, he admitted that he, too, would like to have a Jeep.

This means he bought me a Jeep!

We have been so taken with it, we joined the local Jeep trail driving group and have been researching off-road trails in the area to explore.

Moreover, the husband is seriously considering replacing his three-quarter ton diesel GMC 4x4 with a Jeep Gladiator.

And, just like that, we have a new hobby, one we can enjoy together…outside the house…

Is Feisty Trails too much?

 

Comments

Popular Posts