Weaving for Charity

To say that I am blessed is an understatement. 

Without waxing too philosophical, allow me to assert that my cup certainly runneth over. My children are healthy and bright, my husband is loving and supportive, and my dogs think I hung the sun and the moon. Life is good!

Additionally, I am able to weave to my heart's content and I have a drawer full of tea towels, which make me smile every time I open it. 

I am also very grateful for my friends and family who encourage and support me with my weaving (and other life) endeavors. 

When I set my intentions for the year (gosh, who knew what 2020 had in store for us?), I decided I wanted an opportunity to give back, share some of my bounty with a few of the organizations that are important to me. 

Poquita Paws Rescue in San Antonio has a mission to rescue small dogs from the community and high kill facilities and to encourage responsible pet ownership. Both CoalBear and Atticus came from the ladies at Poquita Paws. 

These ladies do not just rescue small dogs, they integrate them into their home and their lives. They are socialized, crate trained, and basically housebroken before they are ready for adoption. 

I love all our dogs, but CoalBear has a huge part of my heart. He is my constant shadow who enhances the quality of my life each and every day. 

While all three of these organizations are worthy or assistance, please know Poquita Paws is the closest to my heart.





To support Poquita Paws Rescue, I also use Amazon Smile with Poquita Paws Rescue Inc listed as my charity of choice. As a result, Amazon sends a donation to them on my behalf based on the purchases I make. It costs me nothing. If you use Amazon and have not already designated a charity, please consider using Amazon Smile.

One of my daughters has systemic lupus erythematosus. Thus, I support Lupus Foundation of America Lone Star.

When I was in private practice, I did a lot of family law with more than my share of custody cases. Helping Hand Home is in Austin. Helping Hand Home for Children provides a safe haven for children healing from physical, emotional, and sexual abuse, neglect, or abandonment. 

Each of these is a worthy organization.

On Facebook, I have asked my friends to help support these organizations. For a minimum donation of $50 I have offered a pair of handwoven towels. The pledges are taken on Facebook. In the event, there are towels not spoken for on Facebook, I will open the offer here, as well. 

Here are the Fancy towels listed as A, B, C, and D. There is only one pair of each. They are approximately 18.75" wide and 27.5" long. They are made with a cottolin warp and cotton weft. 


These have been claimed. 


Fancy B has been claimed.


Fancy C has been claimed. 


These have been claimed. 

These are the Feisty Original Dye towels, as they are the very first ones I ever dyed. They are 100% cotton and approximately 20.75" wide and 26" long. I have two pairs available.


Both pairs of Feisty Original Dye have been claimed.

The Red Stripe towels are 100% cotton and really soft. They are approximately 22" wide and 27" long. There are four pairs available. 


All four pairs of the Red Stripe towels are spoken for. 

The Christmas towels are 100% cotton. These are 18.5" wide and 28" long. There are four pairs. 


All of the Christmas Towels have been claimed. 

The Feisty Carnivale towels are 21" wide and 28" long. They are 100% cotton. Two pairs are available.


Feisty Carnivale are all gone!

Both pairs of Baker's Dozen towels are 100% cotton. They are 19.5" wide and 28" long. I have one pair in A and one pair in B.


Baker's Dozen A has been claimed.


Baker's Dozen B has been claimed. 

The Neon Feisty towels are 100% cotton. They are 21" wide and 27.5" wide. There are two pairs. 


Both pairs of Neon Feisty have been claimed.

Note: Both the Red Stripe towels and Christmas towels are woven in plain weave, which is also called even weave. "Worming" is when the threads used in weaving bunch up once they have been woven. The worms show up once the fabric has been washed and dried. This is far more common (and noticeable) in plain weave than in a pattern weave. 

Here are some examples in the Red Stripe towels of worming. It sort of looks like wrinkles that cannot be ironed out.




Because it is just a natural part of weaving, it does not bother me. I think it adds to the texture and uniqueness of handwoven fabric. 

Comments

Callise Roach said…
Your weaving is so beautiful. You have a kind heart and to share this opportunity with everyone speaks volumes! Thanks for sharing your gorgeous work.
Feisty said…
Thank you, Callise! You are an amazing friend. I so appreciate you and your support! MWAH!

Popular Posts