Easy come, easy go...

A couple of weeks ago, a sweet friend plagued by very trying times contacted me, inquiring whether I knew of anyone possibly interested in her spinning wheel or weaving equipment.

Initially, I gave her what leads came to mind. One of those leads later told me, the friend was more interested in selling the weaving equipment as a lot, rather than piecemeal.

After some thought and a discussion with the husband, I decided to ask the friend what she wanted for all of the weaving equipment, including the very same loom, which was actually my first floor loom. She named a price, and I agreed.

I contacted one of the leads and asked if she were still interested in the warping mill. She was.

As to the loom itself, a warping board, and other accessories, I was not quite sure what I would do with them, but I felt as though I could give them a home, until someone else came along.

In fact, we are hosting my third "daughter" this summer, the best friend of the younger daughter. Both will go away to college in the fall, but the family of this third "daughter" have just moved to Colorado. Rather than have her remain in the family home alone, I thought it would be better, if she lived with us.

It is this third "daughter" who has been the only one to express any interest in weaving.

Thus, my thought was to teach her how to warp and weave on this "new" floor loom.

However, fate intervened on Wednesday of last week. Two of the doggies had a vet appointment. When I walked in, one of my knitting friends, Alyson, who works there greeted me and stated: "Hey, I am thinking about taking a weaving class at Southwest School of Art!" 

"With Casey Galloway?" I responded.

"Yes!"

I laughed, as I knew Alyson was a hand spinner and inkle weaver, as well as a knitter/crocheter, but this was the first I had heard of big loom weaving.

"Would you like me to teach you how to weave?" I inquired. "You wouldn't have to drive to San Antonio..."

A discussion commenced from there, and I mentioned I had my very first floor loom coming back to me shortly.

Later that day, I sent her the information I had on it, and she replied simply: "I'll take it."

So, Saturday, the sweet and thoughtful husband and I drove up to Hutto to meet my friend at a storage facility and picked up all her weaving equipment.

We brought the loom in and set her up in the foyer.

My friend did a great job wrapping the loom and warped project with industrial saran wrap, so all was good and ready to go. When we got her home, I just unfolded her and tightened the warp. Project saved!


Alyson came over on Sunday and received an intense course in weaving, including how to warp onto the back beam. The smaller Macomber was in need of a warp, and she helped me wind it on.

We loaded the loom into her truck and send her home with books, a raddle, a warping board, and some thread.

I hope she does not mind, but here is the photo she sent of the newly christened Circe in her home:


Speaking of warps on the smaller loom, last month, I took 16 yards of primarily baby blankets off Lil Miss and promptly dressed her for place mats and napkins. Those fell off rather quickly, as well.

Unfortunately, I was not wholly pleased with the baby blankets. The cotton chenille ones were great, but the ones in 8/4 cotton warp for weft were a bit too rustic for my taste.

Now, 8/4 cotton for warp and weft were not new to me, I made blankets with that combination three years ago.


8/4 cotton is fairly thick. I typically use it for warp with rag rugs. Tom Knisely has a book on baby blankets, which is where I got the above pattern. I loved the blankets above, but the ones I made were a bit more plain, and I did not appreciate seeing the ends, where I moved from one bobbin to another, so readily. The stripes in the above blankets helped hide them better.




Because the family for whom I making blankets is very special to me, I wanted to create something extra special. Which means, I warped the loom for more blankets and fabric for burp cloths.


Chocolate, raspberry, and cream!

Yum!

These should go quickly, as it is only a short 6-yard warp.

Next up will be a batch of bright tea towels. Here's a peek at the two chains making up the 12-yard warp.


I cannot wait!!

Lastly, the fabric for the duvet cover is well underway on the Beast:


Because I am unaccustomed to weaving the full 56" width of the loom, it is going slowly. Also, with the 8/2 cottolin warp, I am using 3/2 cotton for the weft. The combination of the weaving width with the thicker weft is creating issues with my selvage, as it is far from even. I have learned it is better if I pull out the weft before I throw, rather than allow it to unwind from the bobbin on its journey, but is woefully uneven.

As this is the middle panel, I need the selvages to be straight because that determines my sewing seam line; however, no matter how careful I was, it was still coming out wonky and ugly. So, I decided to drop an extra warp thread in bright red three-quarters of an inch in from each side to give me a sewing guideline to make sure the center panel will be square. 

I hate to share how horrible this is, but dropping the extra warp may prove a clever solution.


While I would still prefer to have lovely selvages, the weaving speed has ticked up a bit, and I think I may be able to get the fabric done by the fall. 

What is everyone else working on this summer?



Comments

Popular Posts